How to Teach in the UK with Australian Qualifications

    • Every country has its own type of education system and its own methods of teaching. As an Australian teacher who wants to teach in the UK, you are probably wondering whether your certificate will hold up in a new country, and the good news is that it will. Australian teaching qualifications are accepted in the UK, but you must get awarded a Qualified Teacher Status.

      A Qualified Teacher Status or a QTS is what will allow you to work in the UK even though you have trained in Australia. The best way to apply for a QTS is online, and here at Point to Point we are here to guide you through the process. We will also guide you through all the other formalities you need to complete. By the time we’re finished, your bags will be packed, and you’ll be on the next flight to your new life.

      Getting awarded a QTS

      To get a QTS, you first need to go to the website of the Department for Education (DfE), UK and use their online application form. Fill in the form and submit it; alternatively, you can send them a letter in the mail stating that you are a teacher who is fully qualified to teach permanently in Australia. Only letters from a recognised authority will be accepted. The department will then verify that you are a qualified teacher in Australia and will award you a QTS.

      The whole process- from the time you send in your application, it gets reviewed, and they get back to you- could take up to four months; so you have to be a bit patient. Don’t lose hope if you don’t hear from them right away; these things take time. Once the process is complete, you will be sent a letter that confirms that you have been awarded the QTS and are recognised as a teaching professional in the UK.

      If for any reason you don’t qualify for the QTS, we at Point to Point can help you find out why and what you can do to meet the requirements.

      Getting a visa

      If you do not have British ancestry or one or both parents are not originally from the UK, you will have to apply for a work visa. The visa application has to go through the British High Commission, and you can visit their website for the checklist of documents you will require. We recommend that you apply for the work visa and not the Work Holiday Visa if you want to work long-term in the UK.

      If you do have British ancestry, then you can find out whether you are eligible for dual citizenship. Once you also have a British passport, you will have no problem working in the UK.

      If you are moving to the UK with your spouse who is a British citizen or who has dual citizenship, then you too will be able to teach in the UK.

      Finding a teaching job in the UK

      With Point to Point, finding a teaching job in the UK has never been easier, and the process has never been smoother. When you apply through us, we make sure to tailor our services to suit you perfectly. Based on your qualifications and preferences, we find you a school in the UK that is the perfect match for you.

      We make sure that you are fully prepared for the Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) interview or for a digital Skype interview. With our training, you greatly increase your chances of success. We connect you with the best quality schools in the UK so that your move there does not just give you the chance to travel but to also grow your career.

      Relocating to the UK

      We assist you every step of the way on your new journey. When you are moving to the UK, we provide you with all the support you require and guide you with finding accommodation and other resources. We are always just a phone call or email away and ready to help if you need anything. Point to Point consists of a group of teachers who have done it all before and are now pooling our experiences to help younger teachers find work teaching overseas.

      For further information about teaching in the UK, contact us today and speak to one of our consultants. Alternatively, you can fill out our online instant assessment form and we’ll be in touch with you.

      Contact Us