1. Home
  2. /
  3. FAQs for Teachers

FAQs for Teachers

    • Read the most Frequently Asked Questions by teachers who want to teach at a UK school. Do you still have a burning question not listed below?  Contact us.

    • For Teachers

    • Why should I teach in England?

      See the sights of ancient Rome, smell the aroma of fresh croissants wafting out of a Parisian bakery, taste tapas dishes in Spain, listen to the bells ring out from Big Ben, touch the Blarney Stone in Ireland.

      Experiencing all the good things that the UK and Europe have to offer doesn’t mean putting your career on hold when you’re a teacher. Your teaching qualification allows you to have the best of both worlds.

      Living and working as a teacher in England, you’ll enjoy the freedom of school holidays to take off on travel adventures as well as the professional satisfaction of developing new skills through teaching a new curriculum abroad.

      Point to Point are standing by to help you make your teaching and travel dreams your reality.

    • Why go through a teaching agency?

      Trust and expertise. Most schools in England recruit international teachers through an agency because they need support to navigate international hiring. We are experts in matching teachers with the most suitable schools. We’ll guide you through the entire process and help your application stand out from the crowd.

    • Why should I choose Point to Point?

      Point to Point Education are experts in teacher recruitment and our service is completely free for teachers. You’ll be guided by expert recruitment consultants and supported by the Point to Point family long after you arrive in England. We’ll secure you a teaching job that suits your lifestyle, location preferences and current level of experience. Our expert consultants will offer you ongoing support, from CV writing to interview coaching and all things in between. We’ll even come and visit you at your new British school! One of the most rewarding parts of our job is seeing you well settled in yours.

    • How much does Point to Point charge?

      Point to Point offers a completely FREE service for teachers.

    • When’s the best time to start?

      Positions are available year-round and commonly commence at the beginning of each term.

      The British academic year runs from September to July and is split into three terms, with a one- or two-week holiday in the middle of each.

      Autumn Term: Starts early September and finishes one week before Christmas. Christmas holidays are two weeks.

      Spring Term: Starts in the second week in January and finishes early April. Easter holidays are two weeks.

      Summer Term: Starts two weeks after Easter and finishes mid-July. Summer holidays are six weeks over July/August.

    • How much do teachers get paid in England?

      Salaries vary depending on your experience and location. If you are on a school contract, you will be paid monthly by your school. See pay scale here to get an idea of where you would fit.

      If you are a beginning teacher, straight out of university, you will be paid on the “Unqualified” scale. If you are an experienced teacher with full registration from your home country, you will be paid on the “Main Pay Scale”, provided you hold Qualified Teacher Status.

    • How do I prepare for my interview?

      Your consultant will go through the school’s website, location, job description and Ofsted report with you. They will give you some insight into the school environment based on their previous visits to the school and their long-standing relationships with the Principals and School Leaders. They will also conduct a practice interview with you beforehand, so you’ll go into your interview feeling as prepared as possible.

      Check out some useful tips for interviews here.

    • What paperwork will I need to send you?

      Our dedicated Compliance Manager will make sure you have ticked all the right boxes and have met the compliance standards for teaching in England.

      Before your interview, you will need to provide us copies of:

      • Completed Point to Point Registration Form
      • CV
      • Provide details of two teaching references

      Once you accept your new job, you will need to provide us certified copies of:

      • Teaching Qualifications (QTS or ENIC if applicable)
      • National Police Check
      • x2 Proof of Address
      • Passport and Visa
      • List 99 and or DBS as required (certified)
    • What happens once I’ve started teaching?

      We love keeping in touch with our teachers. We will make visits to your classroom in your first term. We also hope to see you at our regular social nights and networking events. You will also have access to our closed Facebook group, The Point to Point Posse, to connect with other teachers doing the same thing as you in England.

    • How will I make friends?

      Point to Point work placing teachers in schools all over England. Your Consultant will connect you with our other teachers prior to your departure and after you arrive.

      We host regular social nights and networking events, which all our teachers are invited to.

      We also encourage teachers to take advantage of our exclusive travel deals with our travel partners (STA Travel, Koda Sail, Travel Talk, and Ever Thought of Trying) and meet other adventurous people who are exploring England and Europe too.

    • How do I apply for my National Insurance Number?

      When you first arrive you will have to apply for a National Insurance Number. This will need to be provided to the school for tax purposes.

      To apply, you will need to call Jobcentre plus on:

      • Telephone: 0345 600 0643
      • Monday to Friday (8:30 am to 5 pm)

      Jobcentre Plus may ask you to undertake an interview. You will be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number. You will also need to bring documents to prove your identity, such as:

      • Passport/identity card
      • Residence permit
      • Birth/adoption certificate
      • Marriage/civil partnership certificate
      • Drivers licence

      If you hold a Skilled Worker visa, you are exempt from the above process as your National Insurance Number will be printed on your Biometric Residency Permit (BRP).

    • How do I find accommodation in England?

      We suggest you arrange to stay in an Airbnb when you first arrive, so you’ll have a comfortable base to get over your jetlag and get orientated. Once you’ve found your bearings, you can set up appointments to view share houses, apartments or flats (depending on your budget). It’s a good idea to book your Airbnb close to good transport links and your new school. Some teachers like to walk, bike or bus to work, to avoid expensive tube travel.

      Take your time finding more permanent accommodation. Meet all your potential flatmates and find out about their professions and lifestyles to make sure they are a good match. Walk around your chosen location and make sure you feel comfortable and safe in the immediate environment.

      Budget to pay rent of between £100 – £200 per week (varies, depending on location).

      Some websites you may find useful in your accommodation search:

    • How do I get around London?

      When you land in Heathrow or Gatwick, the first thing you’ll want to do is to buy an Oyster Card to save on travel costs. Your Oyster Card will work on the Tube, trains, DLR, buses and ferries. Use the Journey Planner on Transport for London to help plan your journeys around London.

    • How do the year groups work in England?

      The British System is divided into Key Stages:

      • KS1: Years 1 to 2 (5-7 years old) Year 2 children have SATS in Literacy, Numeracy and Science
      • KS2: Years 3 to 6 (7- 11 years old) Year 6 children have SATS in Literacy, Numeracy and Science
      • KS3: Years 7 to 9 (11-14 years old)
      • KS4: Years 10 to 11 (14 -16 years old) Exams are called GCSE’s
      • KS5: Years 12 to 13 (16 -18 years old) Exams are typically A Levels, AS Levels, NVQ’s or HND’s

      The GOV.UK website can provide more information on curriculum, areas of study, objectives and assessment.

    • How do I apply for my police check?

      Coming up to 3 months before your departure, you will need to apply for your National Police Check. You will need to apply for a police check from every country you have lived in for more than six months in the last 10 years.

    • How do I apply for a visa?

      Visit UK Visa and Immigration to apply, find out about visa processing times, costs, different types of visas and immigration rules.

      Options include:

      • Youth Mobility Visa
      • UK Ancestry Visa
      • Skilled Worker Visa
      • Spousal Visa
      • Dependent Visa
      • British Passport

      Browse all Visa types.