New Sponsorship Visa for the UK and New Immigration System

    • New Sponsorship Visa for the UK and New Immigration System

      As you may have seen, the new immigration and visa system for the UK came into place in January 2021.

      The changes will mainly affect our teachers that would be going on a Tier 2 Visa. This is now called the Skilled Worker Visa. A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa.

      The system is now a points-based system.

      The points-based system includes a route for skilled workers who have a job offer from an approved employer sponsor.

      The job you’re offered will need to be at a required skill level of RQF3 or above (equivalent to A level). You’ll also need to be able to speak English and be paid the relevant salary threshold by your sponsor. This will either be the general salary threshold of £25,600 or the going rate for your job, whichever is higher.

      If you earn less than this – but no less than £20,480 – you may still be able to apply by ‘trading’ points on specific characteristics against your salary. For example, if you have a job offer in a shortage occupation or have a PhD relevant to the job.

      The costs have also increased.

      When you apply for a Skilled Worker visa, you’ll need to have enough money to:

      • pay the application fee – the standard fee ranges from £610 to £1,408 depending on your circumstances
      • pay the healthcare surcharge – this is usually £624 per year
      • support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)

      You’ll pay a lower application fee if your job is on the shortage occupation list.

      You’ll be told how much you need to exactly pay when you apply.
      You can find out more by visiting this website: